July 26, 2011

Key to our success



Good playing conditions are not created overnight by one person. Good playing conditions are the result of consistent upkeep and management by a dedicated staff, oriented toward a common goal. As the superintendent of Stockton Golf and Country Club, I am the person who is ultimately responsible for everything on the 125 acres that my staff and I care for. I certainly cannot do everything myself, although I tried for a few months when I first arrived. It doesn’t take long to realize that I’m only as good as my staff and they are a reflection of my efforts. Five years later, I’m happy to stand in front of our daily assignment board and see the dedicated individuals that look back at me.

Stockton Golf and Country Club is a private, 18-hole course established in 1914. The original layout was designed by Sam Whiting with renovations by John Harbottle in 1997. The course has fairly tight, tree-lined fairways and small greens. The majority of the property sits below sea level with levees holding back the water on two sides. Just off the first tee, the newly designed clubhouse and the ninth hole are California’s farthest inland port with large ships providing scenery on a regular basis. This can be a great place to work with appreciative and supportive members. I get many more compliments than I deserve when most should go directly to the crew that that makes this place what it is.

Reade the rest here

No comments:

Post a Comment